Drug detox and rehab is the first step towards recovery, not the final destination. After initial detox and early recovery help, people uncover co-occurring disorders, behaviors, and thought patterns, aftercare planning helps create schedules, goals, and plans for long-term sobriety.
At Northpoint Recovery, we believe in helping clients through every recovery phase. Our state-of-the-art inpatient detox and rehabilitation clinic provide comprehensive aftercare planning to keep clients sober. Learn more about Northpoint Recovery’s aftercare planning at 208.486.0130 and get started today.
What Is Aftercare Planning?
Aftercare planning can take many forms and is critical for addiction recovery. Developing a comprehensive aftercare plan is essential to long-term sobriety from the first day of detox to the last day of outpatient rehab. Aftercare planning often includes:
- Understanding triggers
- Setting long-term and short-term goals
- Mindfulness exercises
- Stress reduction techniques
- 12 step programs
- Alumni programs
- Strategies for talking about addiction and asking for help
Addiction recovery helps clients build schedules and healthy habits to replace drug and alcohol use. Therapists during recovery can help clients establish goals, recognize triggers, and understand what they need to stay sober.
Common Questions During Aftercare Planning
Aftercare planning is individualized and highly personal. Some questions that might come up during planning with an addiction therapist include:
- What health issues do I need to focus on during recovery?
- Do I need regular treatment for health challenges?
- How can I pursue my health every day?
- Do I need a new primary care physician or specialist?
- What stress relief techniques do I need to practice daily?
- What nutritional plan should I follow?
- Do I need additional supplements?
- Are there fitness and nutrition specialists that can help?
Addiction can change a person’s overall health. Aftercare planning can help people set small goals for long-term recovery. In the same way that people set daily training goals before running a marathon, in aftercare planning focuses on small steps towards overall health. In this way, individuals can better manage their stressors and highlight successes.
Therapists and clinicians at Northpoint Recovery can help clients find the right aftercare health professional. Whether someone needs support for nutrition and fitness or a new general physician specializing in addiction treatment, we can help.
Benefits of Aftercare Planning
Aftercare planning helps clients get honest and stay honest with themselves through recovery. Aftercare planning helps clients talk with current and future therapists and loved ones about their addiction. Some other benefits include:
- Understanding addiction triggers
- Understanding co-occurring disorders
- Treating co-occurring disorders
- Creating work/life balance
- Learning to talk to loved ones about addiction
- Recognizing toxic relationships
- Ways to handle peer pressure
- Effective exercise, meditation, and stress reduction
- Plans for prolonged and continuing treatment
- Recognizing and understanding relapse risk factors
- Understanding to manage relapse
- Establishing boundaries
Relapse is always possible during addiction recovery. However, aftercare planning can reduce the risk of relapse, help people feel supported, and provide plans and resources in case of relapse.
Start Addiction Recovery with a Focus on Aftercare Planning
At Northpoint Recovery, we help clients recover at the moment and plan for the future. With an emphasis on dual diagnosis, we provide clients with the tools and resources they need to manage co-occurring disorders like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and more throughout recovery. With a focus on nutrition and overall health, our programs help clients plan healthy living with a balanced diet and exercise.
Northpoint Recovery helps clients through a three-phase recovery program to prepare them for a successful recovery.
Call Northpoint Recovery Today to Learn More About The Benefits of Aftercare Planning for Addiction Recovery
Call us now at 208.486.0130 to learn more about our addiction treatment programs and the benefits of aftercare planning at Northpoint Recovery.