“I found the prospect daunting, but somehow comforting, too, because the counselors insisted it could be done, and after all, many of them were recovering alcoholics themselves.”
~Craig Ferguson, American on Purpose: the Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot
Here’s the good news – you have decided to seeks treatment for your alcohol or drug problem – congratulations! Here’s the better news–there are thousands of addiction recovery programs available to you throughout the country. No matter where you live, there is someone in your area who can help you.
Here’s the bad news – with so many choices before you, how do you know which one is the right one for YOU?
An Overwhelming Surfeit of Rehab Options
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, there are more than 14,500 specialized drug and alcohol rehab programs available in the United States. There are:
- Outpatient programs
- Intensive Outpatient programs (IOP’s)
- Partial Hospitalization plans (PHP’s)
- Inpatient programs
- Long-term Residential programs
Every program/facility is unique, with specific options:
- Alcohol/Drug Detox
- Treatment Strategy
- Staff Qualifications
- Availability of medical personnel
- Staff-to-Patient ratio
- Usage of Medication-Assisted Therapy (MAT)
- Pet/Equine Therapy
- Poetry/Art Therapy
- Holistic Options—massage, yoga, acupuncture
With that many choices, it is understandable that it can be confusing to decide which program and which approach is best for your specific situation.
But addiction recovery treatment isn’t only offered by specialized programs. Addicts and alcoholics needing help can also be treated by:
- Social workers
What Are the Top-Rated Rehab Programs in the United States?
First, let us say that there are many effective drug rehab programs in the U.S. and we would include ourselves (Northpoint Recovery) as one of them. Unfortunately, many of the “highest-rated” treatment centers are associated with higher costs and sometimes do not accept insurance. When choosing a rehab, you’ll want to find a balance between quality, cost, and effectiveness.
Some great recovery centers in the U.S. include but are not limited to:
Solutions Recovery Center (Delray Beach, Florida) 95% Recovery Rate
Promises Treatment Centers (California and Texas) 90+% Recovery Rate
The Caron Foundation (Pennsylvania & Florida) 80+% Recovery Rate
Hazeldon Treatment Centers (Minnesota, California, Florida, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Texas, and Colorado) 80+% Recovery Rate
What Do All Effective Drug Rehab Programs Have in Common?
A quick perusal of the top-rated in top-reviewed drug and alcohol rehab programs in the United States highlights several commonalities:
- CARF accreditation – the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities is an independent organization that ensures the highest standards of patient care
- Evidence-Based Therapy (EBT) practices–Relying on proven scientific data, rather than “tradition”
- Professionally-licensed clinical staff– Ensuring fully-trained compliance
- Services for co-occurring Behavioral Health Disorders–Comorbid disorders such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or PTSD will be addressed at the same time
- Specialized programs for different demographics (men, women, youth, senior, LGBTQ)– This means smaller groups and more personalized treatment
- Family Therapy– Studies have shown that family involvement is one of the biggest keys to successful, long-lasting recovery
Most importantly, the best addiction recovery programs all offer a comprehensive and integrative approach to treatment.
Comprehensive, because it addresses the disease of addiction on multiple levels:
- Even Occupational, with special programs for medical and legal professionals
Integrative, because each aspect of effective treatment is provided:
- Initial intake assessment
- Medical evaluation
- Alcohol or drug detoxification
- Medication assistance
- Individual treatment plans
- Drug testing
- One-on-one counseling
- Peer group therapy
- Couple/family counseling
- Trauma processing
- Relapse prevention
- Psychiatric services for co-morbid disorders
- Nutritional planning
- Lifestyle coaching
- Vocational assistance
- Exercise programs
- 12-Step fellowship
- Additional holistic therapies
What Do I Do If These Addiction Treatment Programs Aren’t in My Area?
It may not be practical for you to attend one of these programs. But it is still possible to use them as an example of what a top-tier addiction recovery program should offer. You CAN winnow the selections.
With a little homework online and on the telephone, you can very quickly create a shortlist of elite drug and alcohol rehab programs in your area that offer exactly what you need. It may even be possible to take a preliminary tour of the facilities and meet some of the staff.
Choosing the right rehab program is one of the most important steps that can determine your successful recovery because the more comfortable you are in a program and the more it is structured to meet your needs as an individual, the greater chance you have achieving long-lasting sobriety. If you still have questions or want to see which treatment centers work with your insurance, please give Northpoint Recovery a call.